Saturday, March 29, 2008

After John 20:19-31

That Sunday they met in secret, locking the doors because they were afraid of further persecution. And as they were talking, Jesus appeared among them, and said “Peace be with you!” Some were full of joy, some were frightened, and many had trouble believing. But Jesus showed them his hands, and the wounds in them, and his side, where the spear had pierced him, and they believed and rejoiced.

And Jesus said “Peace be with you; As the Father has sent me, so I send you!” And he breathed on them, saying “Receive the Holy Spirit!”

But Tom was not there in the locked room where Jesus had appeared, and when he heard the story he said “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and touch them, and touch the wound in his side, I will not believe.”

So a week later, they were again in the house with the doors securely shut, and Tom was with them. And Jesus again appeared among them and said; “Peace be with you.”

Turning, he said to Tom: “See and touch me, touch my hands - and my side where I was pierced - do not doubt, but believe.”

And Tom grasped his hands and fell to his knees, gasping: “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him: “Have you believed because you have seen? Blessed are those who have not seen, and yet still have come to believe.”

Peace
LE

No comments: